Wontons, so simple and comforting. I love making wontons and making them in big batches to freeze for future suppers. The recipe I have is from Kylie Kwong’s Simple Chinese Cooking, but I think the same recipe is posted on Lifestyle Foods. The recipe is very easy but it does take a while to make them so it is best to make a large batch and freeze what you don’t eat.
I’d never had wontons served this way before. I absolutely adore this sauce. The combination of the sweetness from the kecap manis, the sour from the malt vinegar and the kick from the chilli oil makes this a great combination.
Prawn Wontons with Spring Onion, Ginger and Vinegar dressing
from the Lifestyle Food website.
* 2½ tablespoons light soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons finely sliced Coriander roots and stems
* 2 tablespoons finely diced Ginger
* 2 tablespoons finely sliced spring onions scallions
* 2 tablespoons kecap manis
* 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
* ¼ teaspoon Chilli Oil
* Sesame Oil
* 300 g x 9 uncooked Prawns shrimp
* 1 tablespoon roughly chopped coriander leaf
* 1 tablespoon finelsy sliced spring onion scallions
* 1½ teaspoons finely diced Ginger
* 1 teaspoon shao hsing wine or dry sherry
* 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon Oyster sauce
* ¼ teaspoon white sugar
* ¼ teaspoon Sesame Oil
* 16 fresh wonton wrappers about 7cm square
- Combine soy sauce, coriander, ginger, spring onions, kecap manis, vinegar and both oils in a bowl and setaside.
- For the wontons, peel and de-vein prawns, then dice prawn meat – you should have about 150 g (5 oz) diced prawn meat.
- Combine prawn meat and remaining ingredients, except wonton wrappers, in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Next fill and shape the wontons.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Drop wontons, in batches, into the water and cook for 2 minutes or until wontons are just cooked through.
- To test the wontons you will need to remove one using a slotted spoon and cut it through with a sharp knife to see if the prawns are just cooked through.
- Remove wontons with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Repeat process with remaining wontons.
- Arrange wontons on a platter and serve immediately drizzled with dressing.